The kit this month features Pinkfresh Studio’s Happy Things collection which is a really fresh, geometric and colourful collection.
And while this is fantastic to have such unusual patterns and products to work with, it also poses a little bit of a challenge. Some of the papers are what some might call ‘lazy papers’ as the pattern or featured image is so detail that it seems as if the background is already done for you. Fantastic maybe if you are in a rush or have limited time to scrap. But on the other hand, maybe a little frustrating as it can limit the space for creativity and your own style.
It really is a matter of opinion, and you could see it from an entirely different angle and say it just makes you challenge yourself. What can you do to make it different? What can you do to make it your own?
This is the first layout I have created with this months kit.
I decided that I was going to start with black cardstock, which was a challenge in itself as I usually gravitate towards a white background for a clean look. However, though it took a while to get started, I’m really happy with the end result.
I started out but hand stitching around the edge of the 12×12 black cardstock. Top Tip: Unless you have a lot of patience or a sewing machine, good luck! 🙂 It took me a while and I’ll be honest, I thought about stopping, but I’d already pierced the holes so I persevered! It was worth it though because I do think it looks good.
Then I used some of the tissue paper the kit was wrapped in and ruffled it to sit underneath the photo. I thought the light blue tissue really stood out against the black cardstock. The Happy Things collection included a doodle patterned paper (pictured below) and I cut some of these into strips to layer behind the photo.
I knew I didn’t want them to just be plain white, so I got out 3 colours of Distress Ink (Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers and Mustard Seed) to colour sections of the patterns. I wanted the yellow to pop just under the photo and the blue tones to layer behind the photo. I had to play around with these quite a lot to get them to look right.
The acetate triangles posed an interesting challenge. My main one being; “What on earth is best to stick acetate down with?”
The acetate was originally in fairly bit triangles. I originally cut them in half but they were still a little too big. So I cut them down again and arranged them into starburst shapes in 3 areas on the page. I tried using glossy accents, double sided tape and eventually settled on a couple of staples. Tricky product! Looks good though.
If you would like to see the video of my process of putting this page together, then the YouTube video will be linked below! Thanks for reading!
If you would like to find out more about Like For Ever please click the logo below:
**Please note: I am a customer of Like For Ever and have not affiliated links to them. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.